This place is one of the most scenic places that I have been in Bohol and is a place that we should protect and preserve.
First, mind that the town of Alicia is not just blessed with beautiful scenery but is where ALICIA SCHIST, the oldest known rocks in Bohol can be found.
These rocks are believed to have existed since the near end of Jurassic Era- the era of dinosaurs to early Cretaceous Era.
Which is 145-100 million years ago! How cool is that? 😱 when you get there, you are stepping on those precious rocks!
Sooo… How to get to this place?
The Town of Alicia is more or less 3 hours via public transport from Dao Integrated Bus Terminal with more or less P 120 fare via bus and 140 for a van. Once you are in the town centre, you ride a habal-habal for 100 pesos fare to the foot of the hills where you can start your trekking, which could last about 2 hours depending on your pace.
Another option is to walk from the town centre to the peak which could take 4 hours – again, depending on your pace.
At the starting point of the trek, an entrance fee of 30 pesos each will be collected. A guide fee of 300 for day trek and 500 if with camping is now applied. They also have available tent and poles for rent.
Here are 5 things you should keep in mind:
1. #CowBoyStyle – The trails are now well kept but note that there are no amenities like comfort rooms, etc. at the peak of Binabaji.
There is a shed where you could rest for a day trek. On the camping ground, they created a huge bamboo table where the group can comfortably dine.
2. #Exercise – It will be a long walk and have many ascents so make sure you are physically prepared to be able to enjoy the trip (and not curse your friend for bringing you there).
3. #Hydrate – Be sure to secure water (a lot of it) and food supply at the town centre. It is a long hot trek since most of it is through open trail and local stores along the trail are scarce.
4. Practice the principles of #LeaveNoTrace! – to sum it up;
REMEMBER: Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time. Bring nothing but memories.
5. #loveTheLocals – Extend courtesy to locals even to the animals (OK. the latter is optional. lol). Greet them, be polite to them and buy your necessities in the town to somehow help their local economy.
Pack your bags, and be responsible travellers!
#responsiblelaagan #donttrashbohol #trekking